We’ve previously reviewed how to stop package theft, but what should you do if you believe your package was already stolen? It could be one of two things. One, the company who shipped your package did not actually deliver it like they said. Or, someone did steal it from your front door. Neither of these are comforting scenarios, but there are a few ways to handle the aftermath depending on the situation.
What to Do If a Package Is Stolen or Missing
- Check your video surveillance.If you have an outdoor security camera, you could potentially identify the thief by reviewing footage from the day it was supposed to be delivered. With this information, you can report it to the local police department. With any luck the person can be identified and tracked down.
- Reach out the company.Contact the company who sent you the package and explain that your package was not delivered. They may have additional information. If they do not know what happened to it and you have proof it was stolen, should request a refund, have the itemed shipped again or come to some sort of resolution.
- Contact the carrier.UPS package stolen from the porch? You’ll have to start by filing a claim for the missing delivery. With FedEx and USPS, it’s a similar process, but each will have a slightly different protocol for handling missing packages. Your best bet is to try speaking with someone on the phone as opposed to live chat or email. If you do communicate with someone electronically, be sure to make copies of the conversation for future reference.
- Do a double check.Sometimes the carriers will label a package as “delivered” in their system even when it hasn’t been. Before you create a claim, contact the carrier and determine if this is the case. If it is, you should receive your package by the next day. Additionally, try contacting your neighbors. There is always a chance the packaged was accidentally delivered to them due to carrier oversight.
- Contact us.If you do not have home security cameras monitoring the exterior of your home and are interested in learning more, contact us today to schedule a free security assessment! We’ve been protecting homes in Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland and Boise for 90+ years and no other home security company in Washington, Oregon or Idaho offers a guarantee like ours.