According to the FBI, nearly 400,000 burglaries occur in the U.S. during November and December each year. This of course is not a surprising statistic. Plenty of people take vacations, attend parties and have shiny presents sitting under the tree during the holiday season. Below are some tips to keep your home especially secure during this time of year.
- *For big purchase items that come in a cardboard box, cut up the cardboard and put it in black garbage bags instead of leaving it out on the curb next to your garbage cans for potential thieves to see what expensive new items you got over the holidays.
- *Do not post your holiday travel plans online. Doing so will let people know you aren’t home and it becomes an open invitation for burglars.
- *If you are going to be out of town, be sure to have a neighbor get your newspaper and mail so it isn’t piling up at your door or in your driveway. Additionally, add timers for your lights so it looks like someone is home.
- *Do not run extension cords through windows because they will not shut properly and will be easier to pry open.
- *Add extra lighting around the exterior of your house. There won’t be much space for a burglar to hide if it’s well lit.
- *Motion sensors are also a good idea for lighting.
- *Last but not least, work with a security company who can look after your home 24/7 when you’re not there.
Contact us at 1-800-898-1899 for your free security assessment and to learn more about our services. Happy Holidays!