By Pamela Singleton, Director of Communications
Posted September 2, 2008
During brunch Sunday, a couple of friends told me they recently had a home security system installed and wanted to know if I thought it was a good one. I began asking some questions about the system and learned this:
1. They originally picked that particular company because they thought the door-to-door salesman seemed nice and cute.
2. The price was really low.
3. After the contract was signed and the installation began, people from the security company kept coming back to my friends saying, “oh, by the way, we’re gonna need xyz too. That will be another xyz dollars.”
4. They received no guarantees about performance, equipment and labor, emergency service, false alarms or satisfaction, but had to sign a three-year contract.
5. Within a week of the system being installed, they had a false alarm (the fault of the security company) and the city sent my friends a “nasty letter” warning them a large false alarm fine will be charged for the next one.
6. They were given no information regarding the monitoring company’s valid dispatch rate or account to operator ratio.
Unfortunately, my friends’ experience isn’t unique. Few security companies offer the level of service and technology that Sonitrol Pacific does.