For many families, spring break is a chance to get away for a week or two on a short vacation. Unfortunately, this means that their home or office is often left vulnerable as many people unwittingly leave clues that let burglars know they’re going to be away for a while. If you live in Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, or Boise, we can help you to enhance your home and office security so that you can feel confident about leaving on vacation. Here are our five quick and inexpensive tips on how to keep your home or office secure while on vacation.
1. Keep a light on— One of the cheapest forms of security is simply keeping one or more lights on. It’s inexpensive and effective. Burglars only want to risk their efforts on easy targets. Use timers on your lights so there’s no unnecessary wear-and-tear on electrical circuits.
2. Have a friend help you out— Ask a friend or associate to swing by your home or business to make sure there’s no visible mail piling up, no advertisements hanging on your door-handle, or abandoned phonebooks on the porch.
3. Use voicemail and e-mail intelligently— Don’t use a voicemail message that says you’ll be out of town for a specific amount of time. You’d be surprised at how many people do this—it lets burglars know what time frame they’re working with. For your office, set savvy out of office replies without indicating how long your business will be closed.
4. Make sure everything is locked— This may sound obvious, but in the hustle and bustle of preparing for a trip, it’s very easy to let things slip through the cracks. Make a sticky note for your front door that reminds you to double and triple check that everything is securely locked before you leave.
5. Keep valuable items away from plain sight— Move your valuables away from the windows, and close your drapes and blinds. Invest in a lockbox or safe for your office and keep it under your desk or in a closet to reduce visibility.
But we’ve saved the most powerful way to protect your home or business for last.
To take your security to the next level and to be able to vacation worry-free, you’ll want to use an audio security system that will work to secure your home 24/7.
Contact us today to find out how Sonitrol Pacific’s verified response Audio Detection Systems provide world class protection for businesses, schools, and homes in the cities of Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, and Boise.